DIVIDING RELATIONSHIP PROPERTY
Dividing relationship property
Dividing your property fairly when your relationship ends can be one of the most emotional and traumatic times of your life. Independent legal advice for both parties is essential, and the law requires this.
Although the Property (Relationships) Act 1976 provides for a 50:50 property split, there can be difficulties when:
- One of you has brought a greater proportion of assets to the relationship
- It's unclear whether some property is separate or relationship property
- One of you is using a trust to protect specific assets
- Family inheritances or family gifts have to be factored in and/or
- You may have to sell your family home in order to release relationship property funds.
We are experts in navigating the way through these complex issues and reaching resolution.