Contracting out agreements

If you are getting married, or you are in (or are considering) a serious relationship you may want to think about whether you want to keep your own personal property (that was acquired before your relationship began) as separate from that of your partner.

The Property (Relationships) Act 1976 permits partners or spouses to ‘contract out’ of the ‘normal’ 50:50 asset split by signing a contracting out agreement which is also known as a ‘section 21’ or ‘pre nup’.

Bringing this topic up with your dearly beloved is likely to be rather sensitive; you may want to talk with us before you raise it with your partner. We can help you give valid, and sensible, reasons so you can explain these easily and comfortably to him or her.

Looking for advice?

Contact us Close

Thanks for getting in touch!

We will contact you within 1 business day with a response to your query.